Homepage > Irvine Police Department > Business Desk > Quality of LifeE-mail storyPrint friendly format
Quality of Life Issues

What should I do when I see graffiti?
If the graffiti is occurring now you should call 911. If not, you should call the City of Irvine’s graffiti Hotline at 949-724-7196 and leave a message as to the graffiti’s location and type. Please leave your name and contact phone number so City workers can contact you if they are unable to immediately locate the graffiti you report. This hotline links the Police Department with Public Works so that as soon as graffiti on City property has been documented it will be cleaned up.

Graffiti is a significant vandalism problem for businesses and communities throughout this country. Besides defacing public and private property, graffiti signals disorder in a neighborhood and invites crime. The physical condition of a neighborhood and a business district sends clear signals to potential offenders about the likelihood of being apprehended for their crimes.

What can I do about my noisy neighbors?
A noisy neighbor may create a disturbance by having a loud television, stereo, or radio. There is no formal time at which noise becomes illegal. We enforce California Penal Code section 415. This section of the penal codes provides that noise is illegal when “any person…maliciously and willfully disturbs another person by loud and unreasonable noise”.

Since no time frame is specified within this section it means that any person’s peace can be disturbed at any time of day they consider their peace to be disturbed by unreasonable noise, whether 2 a.m. or 2 p.m. The unreasonableness of the noise is an important and necessary requirement of an actual violation of Penal Code section 415.

If this is occurring, call the Irvine Police Department at 949-724-7200 to report it. You may be asked if you wish to sign a complaint. In effect, you are being asked if you will sign a citizen’s arrest for disturbance of the peace.

Under California law, a police officer’s peace cannot be disturbed. A police officer observing a social gathering and hearing loud music cannot enforce Penal Code 415 without a citizen who has reported this gathering to be disturbing their peace.

To allow us the authority to arrest the offending party we must have a victim who has identified himself or herself to us, and is willing to make the citizen’s arrest for this section. Even if you do not wish to do so, you will still be asked for your name, address and phone number, for our information only.

What are the laws regarding construction noise?
Irvine Municipal Code section 6-8-205A prohibits construction and agricultural activities from 7 p.m.-7 a.m. on weekdays and from 6 p.m.-9 a.m. on Saturdays.

This section prohibits any construction or agricultural activities at any time on Sundays or Federal Holidays. This section is also applicable to trucks delivering agricultural or construction materials.

If you observe violations occurring, call the Irvine Police Department at 949-724-7200.

What are the laws regarding property maintenance noise?
Irvine Municipal Code section 6-8-205B prohibits noise of maintenance of real property from 7 p.m.-7 a.m. on any day except Sundays. On Sundays and Federal holidays property maintenance noise is restricted between the hours of 6 p.m.-9 a.m.

If you observe violations of this section., call the Irvine Police Department at 949-724-7000.

Are there any laws governing use of leaf blowers?
Irvine Municipal code section 6-8-205.C.2C requires leaf blowers to be tested and certified to be below 70 decibels before they can be used within the City. Certified blowers are restricted from use from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekdays and 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturdays. Leaf blowers are not allowed to operate at any time on Sundays. Call 949-724-6326 to register and certify leaf blowers for use or to report companies using leaf blowers in violation.

What can I do about juveniles loitering in the area?
Juveniles loitering may, or may not, be committing a criminal act. Irvine Municipal code contains several sections that may, or may not, be applicable depending on the situation. Call the Irvine Police Department at 949-724-7200 to notify police.

Be sure to articulate any of the following circumstances, which may constitute a violation:

  • Loiter, or stand Obstructing sidewalks and/or a highway. I.M.C. section 4-14-105.
  • Minors out after curfew (11 p.m. to 6 a.m.). I.M.C. section 4-14-303A.
  • Parents knowingly allowing their minor children to loiter after curfew are in violation of I.M.C. section 4-14-305A.
  • Disorderly conduct within a City park. I.M.C. section 3-4-122A.

What can I do about barking dogs in my neighborhood?
Animal Control officers handle complaints during their normal working hours. After hours, complaints are automatically routed to Irvine Police officers for handling. When the complaint involves barking dogs, the officer will attempt to contact the animal owner. If the owner is not home, a note will be left at their residence to advise them a complaint was received.

Noisy dogs cannot be impounded since they are considered real property of the owner. Recurrent and continual complaints on the same residence may require arbitration and civil litigation. Call 949-724-7740 to report violations, or for more information on arbitration.